Coach’s Corner

Coach giving players advice.What is a Business License Application and when do I need to apply for one?

This application is a one-stop shop for applying for many state licenses and the information is shared with other state, county and local agencies and municipalities. You can use the Business License Application for:

  • Applying for a Washington State Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number or tax registration number.
  • Opening or reopening a business.
  • Changing the ownership of a business.
  • Opening a new business location.
  • Changing business locations.
  • Registering or changing a trade name.
  • Hiring employees.
  • Getting a Minor Work Permit.
  • Adding licenses to an existing business location.
  • Getting optional insurance coverage for the owner of the business.
  • Hiring people to work in or around your home.
What is a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number?

This is a nine-digit number that registers you with several state agencies and allows you to do business in Washington State. It is also known as a tax registration number or business registration number. It is assigned to your company when you fill out the Business License Application.


Who needs a business license?

You need a license if one or more of the following apply to you:

  • Your business grosses $12,000 or more annually.
  • You’re doing business using a name other than your full legal name.
  • You plan to hire employees within the next 90 days.
  • You sell a product or service that is taxable. For more information about which products or services are taxable, call the Department of Revenue at (800) 647-7706.
  • Your business requires specialty licenses, which are available through the Business Licensing Application.


How can I submit a Business License Application?

You can apply for one on the Department of Revenue website.


How much does it cost and how long does it take to file?

The current cost is $50 plus the additional cost of any licenses, registrations or permits you may need. The entire application process takes between 15 to 30 minutes to complete.


Do I have to get a Federal Identification Number (EIN)?

If you are a sole proprietorship you can use your Social Security Number for federal tax filings. If your legal structure is something other than a sole proprietorship then you probably need to have an EIN. The IRS or an accountant can tell you whether or not it’s required.


What do I need to do if I change the name of my business?

If you’re a profit or nonprofit corporation, limited liability company or limited liability partnership, you need to contact the Secretary of State’s office at (360) 725-0377. If you are updating your firm’s name and it’s the same as your legal entity name, you can do that through the Department of Revenue website.


I want to resell products. What do I need to do?

You need to get a Reseller Permit from the Department of Revenue. It takes 10 business days to process the permit.